The Video Appeals Committee today announced that the result of their reconsideration of the Manhunt 2 appeal remains that the appeal against the rejection of the work by the BBFC is upheld.
The Board’s decision to refuse a certificate to Manhunt 2 was successfully challenged on appeal to the Video Appeals Committee. The Board challenged the VAC’s decision by way of Judicial Review before the High Court, which quashed the decision on grounds of errors of law. The VAC has now reconsidered the appeal in the light of the High Court’s directions on the law but has decided, again by a majority of four to three, to allow the appeal on the basis that Manhunt 2 should be given an ’18’ certificate.
In the light of legal advice the Board does not believe the VAC’s judgement provides a realistic basis for a further challenge to its decision and has accordingly issued an ’18’ certificate.
David Cooke, Director of the BBFC said:
?As I have said previously, we never take rejection decisions lightly, and they always involve a complex balance of considerations. We twice rejected Manhunt 2, and then pursued a judicial review challenge, because we considered, after exceptionally thorough examination, that it posed a real potential harm risk. However, the Video Appeals Committee has again exercised its independent scrutiny. It is now clear, in the light of this decision, and our legal advice, that we have no alternative but to issue an ’18’ certificate to the game.?
Latest posts by John McMeiken (see all)
- RISE OF THE HUTT CARTEL, THE FIRST DIGITAL EXPANSION FOR STAR WARSTM: THE OLD REPUBLICTM (PC) - December 19, 2012
- trailer video for Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter campaign (PC) - December 19, 2012
- Love Family Guy?…Love Games?…..check this out! - November 20, 2012