According to online research, newly published research suggests adolescents who play more sports-themed video games are more likely to get involved in real-life sports activities over time. In addition to this, playing these games can hugely impact and enhance kids’ self-esteem by allowing them to develop new skills. These skills are also sports related which means that they can be applied in real life sport playing and other areas. However, if you’re a fully grown adult you may wonder what’s in it for you, especially if you have never played sports games before. It’s 2020, there’s a lot to look forward to.
For a lot of adults, sports are such a huge part of our lives. We sit and watch soccer, or we go see a baseball game, perhaps we even enjoy athletics! We may follow NHL 20 and all of the exciting things that come along with that, including community and happiness. With sports, we are watching strategy, skill and excitement and when this is adapted to gaming, it really is very much the same! Can they help your cognitive skills though, first and foremost?
Get the brain working with sports games!
Video games require attention, focus and very fast reflexes too. You need to be on the ball and especially in sports games because they are fast paced and you are playing often within a team. Even though it is not a physical activity, we use the same part of our brain that stimulates physical reflexes in physical sports. Some of the things that you may see improve when you play sports games is:
- Improves coordination – this will mean that by using tactics in sports games, whether it’s baseball or football, you can improve those reflexes.
- Improves problem solving skills – you can work out from sports games just how to win the game the same way you want to win a game in real life, for example a job interview.
- Enhances memory – you have to remember the moves you have made and lots of other factors.
- Improves attention and concentration – you must concentrate implicitly and if you are playing with another player, you must use teamwork to ensure that you are playing to the best of your ability.
- It is a great source of learning – you can actually learn a plethora of information relating to the sport itself. This is great when you want to put this into practice.
- Improves the brain’s speed – you can get faster at things which is great for everyday life, problem solving and using it at work.
- Enhances multitasking skills – when you play sports games, you are often thinking about what the other team or players are doing, as opposed to being just immersed in yourself and having just one goal. With sports games, the outcome is slightly different.
- Improves social skills – you can learn to make new friends and start to appreciate their work and learn more from them.
So what video games are good?
There are so many but you may of course be familiar with EA sports. They run a whole host of games including FIFA. If you like baseball games, you may want to look at some of the best ones before choosing. The fact is that there are a huge amount of sports games out there. If you are a total newbie, then starting out with the popular games could be good, so you can wrap your head around what they are and why you should like them. Thankfully there is a sport for everyone, winter and summer sports are available but some of the biggest sellers of sports games in the world are:
- Rocket League.
- FIFA 18, 17 and 16.
- Madden NFL 19, 18, and 17.
- NHL 19, 18.
- WWE 2K19.
- NBA Jam.
- Mario Kart Racing.
Car racing games are another big hit, specifically because they can assist you with learning new tricks for driving. Yes, one may think that it could put you at a higher risk of wanting to speed but most racing games are set on a designated track such as Formula 1, and not on the roads. So it is not going to affect you in the way that you may first think. Gaming is fun, afterall!
Why now, you may ask?
Sports games have been huge for years, but during quarantine, we have sadly been unable to consume any sports programs or games like we used to. This means that some people will either crave it more than ever or have fallen out of love with it. If you are craving sports more than ever, then video games are a way to tame that hunger. You can still immerse yourself in a sport, perhaps not the same way, but you can get involved and live vicariously. There has been no football, tennis, baseball or any athletics, so digital games give us a way back in. If you have already fallen out of love with sport, then maybe this can help rekindle your love of it. Afterall, these video games will give us a better insight into what we can do with sport, what sports we may like to try in real life next, or enhance our knowledge if our work relates to sport in any way. There are so many reasons to delve into or back into sports games.
If you are unable to play sports due to an injury or illness, then of course immersing yourself digitally is a great way to feel as if you are part of something. Gaming can help those suffering from addictions or cravings to decrease the intensity of their desires. They can also potentially help those who have multiple sclerosis with balance and improved cognitive function, this is according to online research.
So whatever you usually play, take time to look at some sports games this year and start to appreciate the fun and community that it can bring. There is plenty of information on our site about what games to choose, so make sure it’s time to start making that a reality!