One of the things I love about running is YARS is getting to review Hardware. I know, I know. It is a games site, but hardware is not sent our way very often so it is a nice change. One of the things I like is discovering what differences good hardware can make to your playing experience. I have been really lucky to review quite a few headsets over the years and have realised that it is the small details that make the difference. Generally speaking, they always sound good, it is things like microphone position and comfort that make the real difference. Enter the QPAD QH-90 PC headset.
I have not played with any new QPAD gear in a while, the last thing being the lovely 5K Laser mouse. However, I still use the HeatoN mouse mat I reviewed ages ago almost every day – so I know the kit they produce is good.
The QH-90 is a close cup design headset, with a detachable microphone. The review unit I received was white, but it also comes in black. They also do an open cup version, the QH-85. It is a great looking piece of kit, with a sturdy yet stylish aluminium construction.
I’m not going to beat around the bush, wearing the QH-90 is a pleasure. The soft leather ear cups and the well padded headband make this one of, if not THE most comfortable headset I have used. Whilst it is light weight and does not give the feeling that it is crushing your head (like some others i have used), it still feels secure as you wear it. It shouldn’t come off as you throw your head back in frustration at getting sniped again!
The detachable microphone is smart and fits tightly. The fact it can be removed helps add to the versatility of the headset and makes it perfect for media usage as well as gaming. What adds to this is the fact that it comes with a set of leads that convert it from a PC headset to an iPhone / iPad compatible headset. Smart and very handy. The lead even has a button on it to control your iDevice. My one complaint is that this feels a little flimsy compared to the rest of the headset. I’m not totally convinced it would stand up to much LAN related, backpack travel!
What makes or breaks a headset, is the sound quality. It may be the best looking, most comfortable headset ever, but if it sounds like two tin cans tied with string, it is not worth a penny. Luckily, the QH-90 delivers in spades.
Powered by two 53mm and with the closed cup design, you get good bass without much sound leakage. Now, I felt that it didn’t deliver as much bass as other headsets I have used, however this was offset by just how clear everything else was. The highs and mids (important for hearing environmental noises and footsteps), were crystal clear at all volumes. A fine trade off in my mind. The microphone was clear and (I’m told) reproduced my voice perfectly with a minimum of background noise.
All in all, this is a fantastic headset. At the time of writing this review, the price is around £75. When you consider this is a PC headset and an iDevice headset, this actually represents remarkable value. For me, what really pushes this headset to the top of my pile is the comfort. It is a pleasure to wear and sounds great.
Tech Specs (from QPAD)
QH-90 Technical Specifications
- Transducer type: Dynamic Ø53mm
- Operating principle: Closed
- Frequency response: 15Hz-25KHz
- Nominal impedance: 60 Ω per system
- Nominal SPL: 98±3dB
- T.H.D: < 2%
- Power handling capacity: 150mW
- Sound coupling to the ear: Circumaural
- Ambient noise attenuation: approx.20 dBA
- Headband pressure: 5 N
- Weight with microphone and cable: 350g
- Cable length and type: 1m + 2m extension + 10cm iphone
- Connection: Mini stereo jack plug(3.5MM)
- Transducer type: Condenser(back electret)
- Operating principle: Pressure gradient
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid
- Power supply: AB powering
- Supply voltage: 2V
- Current consumption: Max 0.5 mA
- Nominal impedance: ≤2.2 kΩ ± 30%
- Open circuit voltage at f = 1 kHz 20 mV / Pa
- Frequency response: 100 – 12,000 Hz
- T.H.D: 2% at f = 1 kHz
- Max. SPL: 105dB SPL (THD ≤ 1.0% at 1KHz)
- Microphone output: -39±3dB
- Dimensions: Ø6*5mm
- Length mic boom: 150MM(include gooseneck)
- Capsule diameter: Ø6mm
Latest posts by Andrzej Marczewski (see all)
- Sherlock Holmes: The Devil’s Daughter Launch Trailer - June 10, 2016
- Last Chance: Show Off Your Obscure Gaming Gear - May 27, 2016
- Chipolo – Keep Track Of Your Things - March 31, 2016